Venting. It’s something I need to do a lot. I’m a
glass-half-empty kind of person so naturally I have a lot of things that
irritate me on a daily basis. I was told recently that I need to be more of a
glass-half-full kind of person to be more successful in life. That’s quite
difficult in my current situation, with the ‘big dilemma’ forever looming... In
the words of Dan Smith: how am I going to be an optimist about this?
“But Laura you vent all the time to us” I hear my friends
call from the distance. Yes, that is true, but I don’t vent about everything. It’s those little moments
where you see a tweet on your twitter feed that really makes you think “Why the
hell would you post that” (I often
say it aloud, to be honest) and you feel the need to vent about it to somebody
on twitter but wait- the person follows you. You can’t exactly bring those
little annoyances into conversation when you’re lying in bed at midnight
looking at your twitter feed.
It’s not that I don’t trust people with my rants (well
sometimes that is the case) it’s that I really don’t think they would care – I
get annoying as hell when I start ranting about something, honestly. Especially
with little disputes in groups, you can never know where a small comment could
end up, usually snowballed into something much worse than intended.
Opinions are definitely something that are a lot harder to
express these days, in my opinion (pardon the irony). Often I can’t get to the
end of my sentence before someone tells me how wrong my opinion is (If you’d
let me finish...). Obviously some people’s opinions are just fundamentally wrong. Literally one of my biggest
bugbears is when somebody insults something/someone and then justifies it as “I’m
allowed to have an opinion!” or when they start sentences as “Not being mean or
anything but...” and then wow, what a surprise, they say something mean. What
is the point? We get it, that’s your opinion. Putting a little disclaimer that
the start isn’t going to make somebody less offended by something, you know.
Sometimes I just sit there in class or in public and just
listen to the conversations going on around me and some of the comments just
make me think “really?”. Often I end
up staring into the invisible camera from The Office, wondering if the person
thought about what they were saying when they said it. I am literally Tim
Canterbury 90% of the time in some of my classes.
I can’t be the only one to often feel the urge to just come
out and tell someone what you think of them, cutting out the dreadfully awkward
business of treading on eggshells (it’s even worse when you’re inherently
English). But of course, as always, you can’t do that! That one moment of
madness can trigger weeks of even more awkward
atmosphere. Maybe that’s the reason I’m so sarcastic all the time...
So, in an effort to be a bit more “glass half full” I am
going to try and be more proactive! Look, I know I say this every blog post but
this time I can absolutely guarantee you I will probably end up saying it next
time, too. Just a warning.
It’s funny, I almost didn’t post this rant about not being
able to rant about people as I guess this sort of counts as ranting about
people. Well anyway, I feel a bit better after writing about it. It’s kind of like
therapy and you’re all my collective stress ball. No. Wait. That sounds a bit
wrong... I’m going to stop now.
Laura.
No comments:
Post a Comment