Hello!
My exams finished on Friday and true to my word, I am back! I must admit, though, that I thought I’d feel a lot more... free. It seems like a bit of an anti-climax for me now that I have loads of free time. Maybe it’s due to the fact that they’re making us go back to college on Monday to start second year work! Slightly depressing... My 17th birthday is looming on Friday and I don’t feel very excited for that either! Is that something normal? Like I sort of wish I could go back to being 10 for a week and just countdown to my birthday for ages like it was Christmas (although the day itself always seemed slightly disappointing compared to the build-up... is that just me?). But that’s the reality of growing up, I guess. It will still be good, I think! (My friend is making me a cake. I love cake).
My exams finished on Friday and true to my word, I am back! I must admit, though, that I thought I’d feel a lot more... free. It seems like a bit of an anti-climax for me now that I have loads of free time. Maybe it’s due to the fact that they’re making us go back to college on Monday to start second year work! Slightly depressing... My 17th birthday is looming on Friday and I don’t feel very excited for that either! Is that something normal? Like I sort of wish I could go back to being 10 for a week and just countdown to my birthday for ages like it was Christmas (although the day itself always seemed slightly disappointing compared to the build-up... is that just me?). But that’s the reality of growing up, I guess. It will still be good, I think! (My friend is making me a cake. I love cake).
Oh listen to me getting all melancholy and theoretical...
Anyway, I better focus on what has happened since I left this blog! Now, I
doubt any of you haven’t heard from me in the last three months or so because I’m
on twitter but just in the possibility that I have people who follow my life
exclusively on here, I’ll just say I have done nothing. I’m not even kidding!
Apart from exams, nothing has really happened in my life. Do I hear you gasp?
No, it’s really just usual for me. I should probably start looking for work
experience, but seeing as I have to be 18 for the majority of it, I still have
a year to go, really... I’ll have to sort something.
Driving! That’s exciting isn’t it? Something I can now officially
do when I’m 17. Although I’m still not counted as an adult. Oh social
constructs, what a joy! I feel there’s always build up to ‘big’ ages that I
never really get excited for. For example, I’m not really excited to drive. I’m
sure I’ll enjoy it once I get going but at the moment I have no urge to be able
to jump in the nearest car and drive off into the sunset. Okay, that’s a bit
dramatic but you get my point. It’s funny, I’ve only just realised today that I
have been old enough to legally buy a lottery ticket for a whole year and I
haven’t even bought one! I could literally win £8 million on the lottery this
weekend yet I still couldn’t buy a drink at a bar. Or drive. Or vote. Or buy
fireworks. Or get a commercial pilot’s licence... (I am googling these – there are
quite a few).
It makes me laugh when I think back to my 9 year old self, thinking
when I was a teenager I’d always be going to cool parties and going into town
on my own (wow the independence is too much to comprehend). In hindsight
though, I guess we all romanticised a bit. We didn’t know the true difficulty
of actually getting a life when all we had to worry about was what was on television
at the weekend or the “you’re not my friend anymore” school feuds on the
playground. In a way I wish I still had a bit of that sky-high optimism I had
when I was younger, but what can you do?
Anyway, right now I’m putting off a couple of projects I
need to catch up on (yes, they’re already piling on the work, pretty much) but
instead I thought I’d take a while to talk to you guys! I want to get back into
the swing of things with this blog. As always, thank you for being my
hypothetical stress ball (but not in a weird way).
Laura.
No comments:
Post a Comment