I often
find there's nothing more daunting than a blank word document (as does my
computer too, apparently, as it has frozen up even at the concept of opening
one up). This is my situation for a few things at the moment. First is this
blog, I suppose. Now don't get me wrong, I love this blog and how it gives me
the opportunity to rant at whatever I so please... However, actually thinking
of a topic that I can talk about for more than a paragraph is really hard for
me, especially as all I have going on in my life is universities, universities,
universities (I suppose choosing universities it is a bit like Location,
Location, Location in a way, isn't it?). This brings me onto the second reason
I'm finding blank word documents daunting at the moment: personal statements.
I actually
need to start my personal statement. Soon. I need to get in a draft for
September and I am yet to write a word. I mean I do have a few things I can put
in there but for me it is just the issue that I have no idea how to write about
myself properly. As you know all too well from this blog, I am sarcastic, I am
a pessimist, and I am a bit rubbish at drumming up motivation sometimes. (I do
really want to go to university though). So, when I usually write about myself,
it's usually in the form of sarcastic rant-like blogposts such as the one you
see before you. Plus, of course, we're back to the issue of the blank word
document.
I do
realise I'm just going to have to get on and start it. I feel like I need Shia
Labeouf shouting "JUST DO IT" in my ears at all hours of the day right
now. I think the reason this blank document is so intimidating is the fact
that whatever I write on it is going to determine whether I get into the university
I want. I mean, some of the talks I’ve heard have said “They don’t even read
them don’t worry” but really, why work to that assumption? If someone might
read it, I’m going to make sure it’s good.
I'm also
starting something called an EPQ. Now if you're not from the UK or just don't
know what it is, an EPQ stands for Extended Project Qualification, and for me
this basically means a 6,000 word dissertation on any topic of my choice. I do
not know how to write a dissertation. Or plan one. I do not even have a
question set up yet. I do have a lot of extra reading though... My theory is
that if I do most of it in the next few weeks, I’ll get it over and out of the
way (mainly, I mean just the research - I still have to write it)
I've been
spending a bit of time looking around universities lately and it seems that the
decision that should be easy to go "I don't like this university" and
"I'll apply for that one definitely" really isn't easy at all. Going
back to Location, Location, Location (property show in the UK, if you didn’t
know!) it really is getting like that. It’s as if I’m looking for loads of
things at once (you know how it is – “I want 5 bathrooms, two kitchens, a
fountain, and a private annex and dance studio for my dog...”)
My biggest weakness has to be pretty buildings, though. Even if my mum is saying "The course, the course!" at some points I seem completely in a trance, repeating "it's so pretty! Look at that ceiling. Oh my god that bookcase". I can't help it. I just love pretty buildings. I probably need to counteract that a bit though...
Some universities
seem to have the perfect course but everything else isn’t so wonderful, or vice
versa. I can’t seem to find the perfect mix right now but I think I may have to
compromise. You do learn what to ask, though. Something I always like to do
when looking around universities is say to myself “If it was raining and cold
and you were tired as hell on a Monday morning, would you still feel like shit
here? Would I be okay to get however long on public transport to a lecture?”
because really, sometimes thinking about it in a different way than just the
summery sunshine setting that you first see it in can make a difference. Also,
ask the students questions, a lot of
questions, no matter how small.
Something
that I’ve also been doing is writing everything down. With the open days so
close to one another most of the time, it’s surprisingly easy to forget little
things that you thought on the day. So I’ve got yet another word document for
that. I know it might be a bit frivolous but I think it might help. To be
honest though, I’m just so indecisive that I don’t know if I’ll ever choose.
Anyway, I’ll
stop rambling at you now. Thanks for reading!
Laura.
No comments:
Post a Comment