Wednesday, 27 April 2016

All aboard for Procrastination Station

I always feel so bad when I realise this blog is basically a procrastination method. I’m sorry, I’m using you. So here I am again at a trough in my motivation sine wave and I am a stationary point (can you tell I’ve been doing maths all day?). Therefore, blogging time!

What’s happened since my last post? I’m at least trying to keep some sort of a record of my year at least for myself if anyone! At the start of April I went down to London with my friends Beth and Sophie to the red carpet of the Olivier Awards (theatre awards). That was an experience! I had never actually done a red carpet before and it was a lot of waiting but totally worth it. In the flurry of intenseness we managed to meet quite a few people on the carpet. We had stayed in a hotel the night before and at the crack of dawn (I’m not even joking) we experienced the wonder of the London night bus… Was it comforting I could see a CCTV screen from my seat? I’m not sure… Navigating the Strand when it was deserted was interesting though, all of the theatres shut and nobody in the streets (except for a few people shouting “We’ve only just finished our shift!”  at us as they passed).

It’s just something about London early in the morning that I love (when I’m not concentrating on how sleep-deprived I am). All of the hustle and bustle taken away, the city quiet for just a bit longer until it all gets crazy a few hours later. It’s like if you go to the South Bank at about seven in the morning or close to midnight, it just feels so lovely to have it (sort of) to yourself for a little bit, to have such a crazy city feel momentarily peaceful… Then you realise you’re just up stupidly early and everyone else is still sleeping like normal people on a Saturday…

Speaking of London, I’ve chosen where I am going to university! And it’s not London (it was going to be, but that’s another story), it’s Manchester! That’s if I get the grades of course. I can’t remember if I mentioned before but I’m going to be studying history so I better be prepared for a lot of reading (sidenote: I’m really not ready for that). I also need to be prepared to leave home and survive on my own (extra sidenote: not ready for that either). I think Manchester seems like a cool city and it’s ironic how its rail link to London is actually quicker than from where I’m currently living, despite the fact that Manchester is a lot more north. I’m most likely going to need to go down to London libraries when I do my dissertation [she types, slightly terrified at the prospect]. I do love the north of England and apparently I shall never want for a regular bus. Or rain. Lots of that.

Back to the reason I am writing this post in the first place is my revision, which is really taking it out of me. I have a statistics test tomorrow and I’m pretty screwed for it, honestly. I’ve sort of accepted I’m not going to get top grades in maths but even the lower grades are hard to get! It doesn’t really help that the questions have really boring scenarios. For example, yesterday I was calculating how effective a sewage filtration system was at removing ‘foreign matter’… Nice (p.s. it really wasn’t that effective, ew). So basically the maths exams are even more boring than they have to be. And they're boring to start with. I really don’t care that somebody is measuring the temperature of a metal ball or how many bunches of flowers a shop is likely to sell in a month… 

The bottomless pit of history revision is scaring me the most though. I think I’m just going to have to give it my best and hope it doesn’t go too badly. It’s sixty years of British history in which you have to know practically everything that happens. Literally, no stone is left unturned. I am drowning in notes and stress. English is pretty chilled by comparison, really (thank the lord for that!). I just cannot stop procrastinating, I'm even doing it right now by writing this!

April is going so quickly - it’s terrifying. I have an exam in less than a month! I am not ready for that at all. Plus I have my birthday in the middle of them… I’ve not even had chance to think about the fact that I am seeing Coldplay live in just over a month so I need to get excited for that at some point. I suppose I’ve just been drifting through college aimlessly (more like struggling against a tide but still) and I have lost all sense of time. What is a week anymore? I have no idea. I literally do not know what the date is most days at the moment, which is probably slightly worrying. 

Anyway, time to get back to statistics and calculate what the probability is of me passing that test tomorrow…


Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment